For a while now I have been trying to figure out a decor solution for the children’s bathroom. I really like black and white, so I chose that for the color scheme. I was feeling so uninspired until I ran across this number quilt.
I thought this would make a perfect wall hanging for the bathroom. It’s cute and can be used as a learning tool. As a matter of fact, I have already begun using it while baby boy sits on the potty. He goes right into counting before I can even think that it’s hanging on the wall behind me.
I went through my stash to find black and white fabric to make this project. I used fabric from yardage as well as…………curtain remnants of course!
I think it turned out great! I had a little more wall space I wanted to cover so I added a polka dot border around the quilt. I also made it to the end and decided not to actually quilt the project. It was a turn and top-stitch only type of situation. There is a layer of batting in the middle, and it helps to give it a little weight. It is backed with a simple gray cotton.
And a close up.
There is a wall adjacent to this one that is still empty. I am thinking about putting the alphabet on it in a fun and creative way. I just don’t know what that will look like yet. If you have any suggestions let me know.
I took a short break from sewing clothes to do this project, but it was still made from a free downloadable pattern and instructions. I think this would be really neat as an even bigger wall hanging in a children’s space or an actual quilt you can use. I also like the original version in color.
And the sewing fun continues……
And who is that off in the distance?
None other than baby boy with toothbrush in one hand and car in the other. Gotta love it!
How is it that Curly Cutie has pretty much taken over the blog?
How could I not jump on the oliver + s Popover Sundress train? I just had to! The Popover Sundress is a free pattern released by oliver + s.
It seemed like it would be an easy sew, and it was. For Curly Cutie, I cut a size 4 with the length of a size 8. I used a little bit of piping to accent the front of the dress. The length hit above the knee, so we threw on leggings underneath.
This freebie also comes with a doll-sized dress pattern. So, we had to make one for Curly Cutie’s baby too.
Ha! The pattern is sized for an 18″ doll, and this doll is about 14″ or 15″. I chopped off about an inch from the pattern, which wasn’t really enough. But hey, we have more like a popover maxi. That’s just fine with CC. She was pretty excited about her mini-me.
I should also mention that I thought it would be cool to share about the summer clothes I’ve made for CC using other free and self-drafted patterns. So, I’ll be sharing some of those items here soon. It has been a pretty fun journey. I am enjoying the learning process as well as the final products. Maybe I’ll get serious about making some items for myself.
I heard that SeeKateSew was hosting a sew-along and I decided to jump in. She provided a free pattern for an envelope style clutch and walked you through the construction process from start to finish. It didn’t dawn on me that I needed to have my clutch done like yesterday. I like tackling little projects like this since it’s more experience/learning under my belt and I come away with cute items.
I decided to upcycle a couple of items for this project. A good ole faithful curtain remnant and a tunic style shirt.
Pretty easy sew. I still managed to get some crooked seams in there. If I attempt this again, I will definitely need to find a way to make the clutch more stiff. Heavier fabric or interfacing. This particular fabric is a little too flimsy for me even with heavyweight interfacing.
I really like the texture of the stitched flower. Clutch is nice, shiny and elegant looking. Not to mention this project was $Free.99.
Uploading this to the flickr group just in case you want to see what other ladies have done with the pattern.